Posts Tagged ‘blog’
OR…the alternate title of “What the Heck Am I Doing Blogging and Why?”
How many of you have begun blogging for business (isn’t that the name of that new indie band from Marlinton, West Virginia?) OK, I see a lot of hands raised. We’re going to create an outline here for you today that should give you a little structure and some help when writing posts for your business blog. Hopefully, you have a really interesting business like home inspections (I did) or pizza (I have) or advanced nuclear physics (I hope never). My point here is not to make fun of these businesses but to illustrate that all businesses have people interested in what they do and if you frame your stories and posts correctly, you’ll engage them. SO! Let’s begin, shall we?
- What will you name your blog? I have heard a few different rules of thumb. Name it something interesting BUT also make sure to keep your business in mind. For instance, my old blog for home inspections was called the “Inspection Connection.” Not sexy but interesting enough. Also, you knew what the blog was going to be about before going to it.
- You can use a template to start off and WordPress has hundreds of them BUT you really should invest in a custom header because this blog is part of a bigger picture called branding yourself!
- Make sure to populate all the appropriate information like your website, any other social media outlets you use for the business, contact info…those types of things.
- Check out the plugins that WordPress has. They are very user friendly and there are all kind of things like Real Sexy Bookmarks to All in One SEO to whatever. These plugins will help you get your blog noticed and make it easier for your readers to share with others.
- Gentlemen (and Gentlewomen) Start your engines! Or at least start blogging. Decide what information you want to communicate and make sure you think it’s relevant. You are your own measuring stick. If you don’t find it interesting, chances are no one else will.
- Keep it short and sweet.
- Use your own voice…meaning write like you speak. It makes the post more relatable. Don’t try to use fancy words and stiff business talk. Pretend like you’re telling a friend about it.
- Be informative, funny and useful.
- Use pictures and video. This brings more attention to your post and works good for Google.
- Don’t be afraid. Just do it (thank you Nike). I remember my first blog post. I thought everyone would read it and decide I was complete bore and just plain stupid. They didn’t then though they have on occasion now BUT that’s ok! People are people (someone else’s words again…thank you Depeche Mode) and you will not find agreement every time.
- This is the blogger’s dozen? Whatever…this is very IMPORTANT! Cite your sources, make sure you are using something you can use and get permission when necessary for pictures, quotes, etc. Better safe than sorry. See an earlier post by Crystal, Lessons from the Cooks Source Controversy, for more info. Great post for this last point!
Now get out there, kids! Have some fun, ruffle some feathers, practice safe blogging and let us know if you need any help here. We’re all friendly, don’t bite (most of us) and have had our vaccines. Send us your link and we’ll check it out!